Solution delivers protection and storage of critical backup data, enables data protection across sites and between edge and core environments.
Quantum Corp. announced a virtual backup appliance, the DXi V5000, along with the DXi V5000 Community Edition making it to download and use company’s DXi de-dupe technology.
This offering is suited for data protection at remote sites, edge environments, and for small businesses looking to backup and protect their critical data. The company is also introducing the DXi V5000 Community Edition, a free version of the DXi V5000 that scales to 5TB in size. Users can download the Community Edition in minutes, use it upon download and can later upgrade to the DXi V5000 by purchasing a DXi software subscription license.
“Our customers are looking for simpler ways to protect their data, especially protection at remote sites and at the edge,” says Bruno Hald, VP and GM, secondary storage. “The DXi V5000 addresses this challenge by taking Quantum DXi de-dupe technology and packaging it as a simple to download and use VM. By introducing the Community Edition, we now can get this technology into the hands of as many users as possible so they can more efficiently backup and protect their critical data.“
About DXi V5000 virtual backup appliance
It has the same features and capabilities of a physical DXi appliance, deployed as a VM. A common use case is using it as a virtual backup appliance at a remote site, then replicating de-duped data to a core data center so that organizations can protect their data across sites, and between edge and core.
Feature highlights include:
- Ability to deploy as a VM on VMware, Hyper-V, or KVM environments, with support for major public cloud platforms coming in 1H22.
- Scalability from 5 to 256TB of useable capacity, with dynamic virtual RAM allocation
- DXi variable-length de-dupe to reduce backup data sets by 20:1 or more
- Data replication between sites using DXi WAN-efficient replication. WAN traffic is reduced by 20:1 or more since only de-duped data is transferred.
- Support for multiple protocols, including NAS, Veritas OST, and Veeam Data Mover Service (VDMS)
- DXi Secure Snapshots for protection and immediate recovery from ransomware attacks
- Easy to install and manage with the user interface.
Introducing DXi V5000 Community Edition
To make it easy to download and experience the DXi V5000, the company is introducing the DXi V5000 Community Edition, a free-to-download version of the DXi V5000 that scales to 5TB of capacity. With a 20:1 data reduction ratio, this means that users can protect up to 100TB of data for free.
It can be downloaded after filling out an online form. It is delivered as a VM that can be installed in minutes, and users can begin to backup data almost immediately to see the power of the DXi de-dupe
For users that want to upgrade to a DXi V5000, they can purchase a DXi V5000 subscription software license in the Community Edition user interface. This is a step in making firm’s software easier to download, use, and purchase – and in the future the company will be making this process even more seamless and frictionless, with a 1-click ‘buy now’ option online.