12Gb SAS interface and 9 slots
IBM TS2900 Tape Autoloader supports IBM Linear Tape-Open (LTO) 9 SAS half-height tape drives
IBM TS2900 Tape Autoloader is designed to address capacity, data protection, reliability, availability, and affordability. It is a low-entry tape storage solution incorporating half-height LTO tape technology.
The model S9H offers:
- IBM LTO-9 tape drive native data transfer rate of up to 300Mb/s
- Support for LTO-9 media spec tape cartridge compressed capacity of up to 45TB with 2.5 to 1 compression per cartridge
- 12Gb SAS interface attachment
- Support for media partitioning and self-describing tape
- Support for encryption capabilities with IBM Security Guardium Key Lifecycle Manager (GKLM)
- An entry-level and compact tape library designed for capacity, performance, and reliability
- One removable magazine providing 9 cartridge slots, including a single I/O station
- A bar code reader that is standard and enables operation of the TS2900 in sequential or random access mode
- Remote management capabilities to enable remote administration of the TS2900 through a web interface
- Optional features such as rackmount kits and additional cartridge magazines
- Adherence to LTO-9 media specs
TS2900 Tape Autoloader (machine type 3572) offers tape reliability, density, and performance for entry-level and compact tape libraries in open system environments at a cost-effective price. It is part of the IBM tape library family of offerings. It is a rack-mountable unit that contains a single LTO-9 half-height SAS tape with a capacity of 9 cartridges employing patented high-density slot technology.
With LTO-9 HH SAS tape drives, it is designed to support the LTO-9 native data rate of up to 300Mb/s. It supports LTO-9 media specs for LTO tape drive technology with a compressed capacity of up to 45TB with 2.5 to 1 compression (up to 18TB native capacity) compared to previous LTO-8 compressed capacity of up to 30TB with 2.5 to 1 compression (up to 12TB native capacity) per tape cartridge.
Model S9H can also read and write to LTO-8 cartridges. LTO-8 drives are encryption-capable and designed to support library-managed encryption.
TS2900 comes standard with a bar code reader and a removable magazine to provide 9 cartridge slots, including a single I/O station. It has remote management capabilities to enable remote administration through a web interface. It can be configured to run in sequential (autoloader) or random (library) access mode. Optional features available include rackmount kits and additional cartridge magazines.
TS2900 leverages Spectrum Archive for direct, intuitive, and graphical access to data stored in IBM tape drives and libraries by incorporating the IBM LTFS format standard. LTFS compatibility enables tape-stored data to be accessed as if it were on disk or flash storage.
Spectrum Archive enables users of LTO-9 tape library systems to inventory cartridges and read, write, and search data on any cartridge, allowing writing of metadata and tagging of individual files for easy and fast access to files stored on cartridges.
Appropriate levels of host software are required to attach a TS2900 tape library with IBM LTO-9 to a wide range of environments, including select Power Systems, IBM Z, and other servers running Linux and Windows OS environments with SAS interface support.
Planned availability date: December 3, 2021
Availability within a country is subject to local legal requirements.